2021 Home of the Month Program
Through a partnership between AIA Minnesota and the Star Tribune, each year twelve architect-designed residential projects are selected from among a competitive pool of submissions to be the subject of a monthly feature article in the Star Tribune’s Homes & Gardens section reaching more than 550,000 readers. The 2021 program begins in June and ends in May 2022. The articles appear in the Star Tribune’s print and digital publications.
The objectives of the program are to educate the public about the value of architect-led residential design; to showcase a range of project types, styles, and budgets; and to support Minnesota’s vibrant residential architecture community through increased exposure to a public audience.
$120 per project. Payment by credit card can be made during the electronic submission process.
To be eligible, submitted projects must follow these guidelines, regardless of budget, style, or project type:
- The project must have been designed by a current AIA Minnesota member at the AIA level, or by a team of professionals where the lead designer is an AIA Minnesota member at the AIA level;
- The project must have been designed by an AIA Minnesota member practicing in accordance with Minnesota architecture registration laws and complying with federal wage and labor laws by not employing unpaid intern architects;
- The project must be a single-family, new construction project OR a radical transformation of an existing single-family residence in Minnesota or western Wisconsin. The transformation must include significant change to the existing dwelling as well as new construction;
- The project must have been completed within the last five years (since January 1, 2016);
- The project must not have been featured previously in the Star Tribune (entry may be a previous winner of a RAVE, BLEND, or AIA Honor Award and may have been previously published in other publications or magazines);
- To ensure the highest editorial quality, the Star Tribune writer must be able speak with, quote and name the homeowner(s) within the article. It is the Star Tribune’s editorial policy to identify all quoted sources using first and last names.
Submit all required materials and information and pay the entry fee using AIA Minnesota’s online awards platform by the entry deadline of Monday, March 29, 2021 at 5:00 pm CT.
Selection of Projects
A panel of professionals will be gathered to review submissions and select the twelve Home of the Month projects following the entry deadline. Panel will be comprised of two architects, a representative of the Star Tribune and one additional panelist to be determined by the AIA Minnesota Residential Architecture Committee.
The review and selection process will be monitored by an AIA Minnesota staff member and will be blind with regard to the number of projects that are selected from any one firm. Each member of the panel will have equal weight in the selection process. Project authorship will remain concealed throughout the deliberations of the selection panel.
The Home of the Month program is not an awards program, but rather seeks to showcase a broad range of residential project styles, types, and budgets. The elements of the submission should convey a compelling story and illustrate the architectural innovation, response to the program, and distinguishing features of the project. Avoid lengthy descriptions of features described via graphic images. Panelists will evaluate each project based on adherence to submission guidelines and requirements.
Project authorship must be concealed in all submission materials. It is the entrant’s responsibility to make sure the architect’s name and/or firm name is not revealed on file names, in narratives or on plans. Failure to follow this requirement may result in the entry being disqualified.
Specific Submission Requirements
All entry materials should be submitted electronically using AIA Minnesota’s online awards platform. The following items are required as part of the complete submission:
- Entrant details: lead architect and all project team member names; firm information
- Project details: project type, size, location, completion date
- Project description of 700 words or less
- Signed consent from the homeowner(s) giving approval to submit the project for consideration
- Project images: Each entry must include at least 3 interior photo images, 1 exterior image (for new build projects), floor plans, and a site plan, with the total number of images and plans submitted not to exceed 12. Image files should not exceed 10 MB each in size and be at least 5 inches wide at 300 dpi.
Submission of Images
Any images submitted may be used for the Home of the Month announcement, the Home of the Month event or in other promotions.
Photo rights must be obtained by the entrant. Each submitted photo must list a photo credit. If the submitting architect is the photographer, list “photo by architect.” Entrants are responsible for any royalties or copyright photography fees as related to the submission. If your project is selected, you will be asked to provide proof of photo rights to reproduce the photos.
Save the Date: Virtual Home of the Month Event on Tuesday, April 27
The Star Tribune and AIA Minnesota will host a virtual event on the evening of April 27 to recognize the Home of the Month program and to offer a preview of the next slate of selected projects to be featured. Your submission entitles you to one (1) complimentary ticket to this event.
Contact Angie McKinley, firstname.lastname@example.org or (612)338-6763.
2020-2021 Home of the Month Selected Projects
- Box Camp, SALA Architects
- ¡Caliente!, Christopher Strom Architects
- Deephaven Up/Down, Albertsson Hansen Architecture
- Edmund Residence, Peterssen/Keller Architecture
- Jewel Box Cabin, Imprint Architecture and Design
- Mahtomedi Modern, PLAAD
- Modest Mid-Century Remodeling, Albertsson Hansen Architecture
- Nenookaasi, Kell.Architect(s)
- Norfolk Scandi, K | Nelson Architects
- Shady Island Summer House, Charles R. Stinson Architecture + Design
- Warehouse Loft Remodeling, Albertsson Hansen Architecture
- Waterfront Stone and Glass, TEA2 Architects
Digital Look Book
For the first time, AIA Minnesota has produced a stunning Look Book in digital format showcasing all 38 residential projects submitted for the 2020 Home of the Month program. Browse through gorgeous architectural photos and a description of each project from the comfort of your favorite device. Click the image below to begin.