2018 Call for Entries
Through this partnership between AIA Minnesota and the Star Tribune, each year twelve architect-designed residential projects are selected from among a competitive pool of submissions to be the subject of a monthly feature article in the Star Tribune's Sunday Homes & Gardens section reaching more than 550,000 readers. The 2018 program begins in June and ends in May 2018. The features run in the Star Tribune's print and digital publications.
The objectives of the program are to educate the public about the value of architect-led residential design; to showcase a range of project types, styles, and budgets; and to support Minnesota's vibrant residential architecture community through increased exposure to a public audience.
$110 per project. Payment by credit card can be made during the electronic submission process.
A residential project meeting all of the following criteria is eligible for submission:
- Designed by a current AIA Minnesota member who is a registered architect, or by a team of professionals where the lead designer is an AIA Minnesota registered architect;
- A single-family, new construction project or a radical transformation of an existing residence in Minnesota or western Wisconsin. Transformation must include significant change to the existing dwelling as well as new construction;
- Completed since January 1, 2015;
- Not previously featured in the Star Tribune (entry may be a previous winner of a RAVE, BLEND, or AIA Honor Award and may have been previously published in other publications or magazines);
- To ensure the highest editorial quality, the Star Tribune writer must be able to speak with, quote and name the homeowner(s) within the article. It is the Star Tribune's editorial policy to identify all quoted sources using first and last names.
Complete the electronic submission process and pay the entry fee using AIA Minnesota's online awards platform by the entry deadline of Monday, March 12, 2018 at 5:00 pm CDT. Project images, text, signed consent from the homeowner(s) and a headshot of the architect are required for electronic submission.
Submit one 22.5" x 22.5" project board containing text and images that best represent the project.
Submissions must remain anonymous; no mention of the architecture firm or architect may appear in images and descriptions. All submissions will be reviewed via a blind selection process.
Selection of Projects
A panel of professionals will be gathered to review submissions and select the twelve Home of the Month projects following the entry deadline. Panel will be comprised of two architects and one additional panelist to be determined by the AIA Minnesota Residential Architecture Committee, as well as a representative of the Star Tribune.
The review and selection process will be monitored by an AIA Minnesota staff member and will be blind with regard to the number of projects that are selected from any one firm. Each member of the panel will have equal weight in the selection process. Project authorship will remain concealed throughout the deliberations of the selection panel.
Home of the Month Event
This year's event will be held on the evening of Tuesday, April 17 at the American Swedish Institute. During the program, Star Tribune editor Kim Palmer will moderate a panel of architect-client teams, exploring the different ways architects and homeowners work together to bring about a successful project.
For those submitting projects, you will be asked during the electronic submission process to indicate whether you and your client(s) are willing to be part of the panel as a way to help the public better understand what working with an architect is like. Participation in this aspect of the program is a valuable opportunity to gain more exposure for your firm's work.