• Reviews drawings and other documents to write and edit specifications for projects and coordinates compliance with project requirements, institutional guidelines, Populous standards, technical conditions, acceptable standards, and existing laws, rules, regulations and codes.
• Interprets the project design requirements and translates those requirements into materials, methods, equipment, procedures, installation, and certification testing necessary to provide the narrative descriptions which are used to procure, install and erect building components.
• Participates in fostering a green workplace through sustainable work practices.
• Incorporates Integrated Sustainable Design solutions into projects and functions as an internal sustainability resource.
• Participates in QA/QC reviews and checks on project documents.
• Coordinates specifications with Building Information Modeling (BIM) strategies and specification writing software.
• Assists project managers and architects with material and system constructability analysis.
• Performs product research; assists project designers with material selection and system research.
• Participates in quality management reviews and technical advice in design development through construction document phases.
• Assists project architects with shop drawing and product substitution review.
• Coordinates and reviews consultant technical specifications for conformance with Populous standards.
• Acts as a risk management resource to other project leaders.
• Develops and maintains relationships with vendors.
• Develops new specification sections as needed.
• Participates in developing and improving Populous document standards and best practice procedures and bridges the gap between design professionals, specifications, LEED, QA/QC and construction administration.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Strong knowledge of architectural design, engineering coordination, design trends, products, construction methodology, building systems, material application, and manufacturer-supplier appropriateness.
• Strong knowledge of construction procedures and schedules.
• Strong knowledge of building envelope components, interior plans and material requirements of all building and facility types. Advanced knowledge in sports, convention centers, aviation or other large assembly type specifications is preferred but not required.
• Strong knowledge of building codes and ability to research and apply/incorporate into technical documents.
• Proficiency in specifications software programs such as e-SPECS preferred.
• Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Proficiency in NewForma platform preferred.
• Ability to produce a well-coordinated, detail-oriented, fully integrated specifications.
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and produce results within deadline.
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
• Bachelor’s degree in Architecture or equivalent in appropriate education and experience required.
• Construction Specifications Institute certification preferred. (CDT)
• Minimum 5 years in architectural practice with prior experience in specifications development.
• LEED Green Associate.
The Specifications Writer reports to the Director of Specifications; coordinates activities with other architectural development staff.
Office environment, some travel maybe required and some overtime required.
• All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
• This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job‐related instructions and to perform any other job‐related duties requested by their supervisor. Furthermore, the company reserves the right to add to or revise an employee’s job duties at any time at its sole discretion.
• This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.