Registration is now closed.
This program will cover the proper selection of window types, performance grades, and installation issues that are often found for single family residences and some multi-family applications. This overview program will cover technical standards, proper installation techniques, things to look for during installation, and common failures. Windows are one of the most common failures in the exterior building envelope that creates leakage and damage to the building structure. The instructors will share their observations of windows and installation methods to highlight means of minimizing this risk.
Date, time, location
Tuesday, August 9, 2016
7:30 am to 9:00 am
International Market Square
275 Market Street, Suite 512
Minneapolis, MN 55416
AIA Members $40
1.5 HSW LU Hours
- Identify the differences in the various performance criteria and the proper selection of windows to meet the performance needs.
- Properly flash windows and prepare the opening in the weather resistive barrier.
- Explain the differences in the AAMA performance standards for wind speed and proper application to their site conditions.
- Evaluate the differences in the performance characteristics of AAMA and NFRC that are published.
- Understand the issues that are associated in selection of larger window and door glazing, as well as placement in the wall openings.
Steve Flaten, AIA, is an architect specializing in Building Sciences with Braun Intertec, a local independent testing and consulting firm. He has over 42 years of experience in the area of construction troubleshooting, construction administration, peer reviews, site inspections, detail consulting, and expert witness services to the legal community. He has participated in plan reviews of projects such as the new Viking’s Stadium, TCF Stadium, hotels, multi-family housing and condominiums, and health care facilities.
Jack R. Rasmussen, AIA, is an Associate Principal and Senior Architect registered in Minnesota and Wisconsin specializing in Building Sciences with Braun Intertec, a local independent testing and consulting firm. He heads Braun Intertec’s Envelope Consulting and Forensics Group along with Building Enclosure Field Testing services, which includes their AAMA Accredited Testing Labratory. He has over 15 years of experience in the field.