||Imagine working for a truly global company whose 45,000 employees share a singular passion: to make the world a better place. We enjoy what we do at AECOM. We bring projects to life in the cities and communities in which we work, and we're driven by a set of values and a common purpose - to create, enhance and sustain the world's built, natural and social environments. Innovation is built into every project we manage and every community we serve. We'll provide you support in an environment that allows you to grow and succeed. Come share your passion with us.
We deliver creative solutions for building projects for industry, government, commercial and leisure sectors. Our building engineering specialists have expertise in structural and building services engineering, fire engineering, acoustics, facades and seismic design. We embed sustainability principles in every design.
Mechanical Engineering Discipline Manager
AECOM seeks a well-rounded Mechanical Engineering Discipline Manager who has the ability to perform leadership, project, and business development responsibilities. In this role, the Discipline Manager will serve as a technical advisor, providing senior level input and evaluation on projects. This individual will be responsible for the financial, operational and managerial aspects of the office's Mechanical Engineering Discipline, including successful completion of assigned engineering projects. The Mechanical Engineering Discipline Manager will provide work assignments to discipline project teams and review their performance to ensure efficient, cost effective utilization of staff. The successful candidate demonstrates creativity, foresight and mature engineering judgment in anticipating and solving problems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Project Work (50%)
- Provides operational oversight to drive project performance and execute deliverables to maintain positive client relationships.
- Executes quality control activities for all elements on a project.
- Functions as project leader and project participant for a defined portion of his/her billable time.
- Deliver complete, accurate and coordinated project calculations plans, specifications and technical papers.
- Develop and communicate to other discipline team members overall project goals and constraints including client objectives, design criteria, construction and design budget parameters and schedule requirements.
- Interact and communicate effectively and professionally with other team members, the client and external agencies.
- Certify documents as required.
- Oversee execution of and assist with quality control activities for all engineering elements on office projects
- Perform construction administration tasks including shop drawing review, change order preparation and field problem resolution.
- Develop, maintain and upgrade discipline design standards, theory and expertise to maintain an industry leadership role.
Discipline Management and Leadership (25%)
- Leads Mechanical Engineering Discipline team in discipline efforts as well as plans, develops, coordinates and directs the completion of assigned discipline projects.
- Ensures mechanical engineering discipline plans are created, communicated, understood and utilized by the project team to meet overall project team requirements for project scope and schedule.
- Serves as technical advisor to the office and inter-disciplinary teams
- Applies intensive and diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices to all projects assigned.
- Develops and executes strategy to match staff competencies to business needs and identify skills gaps, ensuring appropriate staffing levels for profitable operations.
- Participates in recruiting and hiring processes for professional and technical level positions in support of company vision and annual business planning.
- Monitors project plans, indirect team expenses, contract compliance, business risk, forecasting and earnings recognition.
- Develops and implements strategies and performance improvement plans to improve under-performing projects to match targeted goals and expected outcomes.
- Seeks collaborative and synergistic opportunities with other AECOM offices and entities.
- Develops risk management plans and strategies to identify and mitigate risks relative to the delivery of engineering services.
- Supports Office Managing Principal in facilitating a collaborative environment among office staff.
- Works collaboratively with other managers and employees to achieve company's mission and business goals.
Business Development (25%)
- Develops strategies for new business and participates in capture activities to diversify engineering revenues.
- Participates in marketing efforts as required.
- Evaluates, quantifies, and develops complimentary strategic engineering services that are profitable and utilize the skills and competencies of the engineering staff.
- Participates in annual and long term business planning.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited school.
- Minimum 10 years relevant experience in design of complex facilities including healthcare facilities, government experiences a plus.
- Minimum 15 years progressive responsibility in Architecture, Engineering, and Construction fields, experience with a major construction company or other related agency preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills with experience managing 15 to 20 direct reports preferred
- Thorough working knowledge of applicable financial metrics.
- Effective time management and organizational skills with the ability to become involved in a number of projects and remain current on the various developmental stages.
- Experience leading multi-disciplined engineering endeavors on engineering lead projects and engineering services for integrated service offerings.
- Experience with various building types and market segments including but not limited to corporate, higher education, healthcare, government, industrial segments
- Well-developed analytical and problem solving skills as well as verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
- Effective sales, marketing and presentation skills.
- Thorough working knowledge of relevant engineering software
- Knowledge of capabilities of AutoCAD and Revit.
- Knowledge of enterprise software, such as VISION or Oracle.
- Ability to travel, domestically and internationally.
- Can-do attitude with the ability to work in collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Licensed Professional engineer, NCEES Records holder preferred
- Experience with multi-geography office management a plus