Architect I and Architect II
Posted Monday, January 23
High Plains Architects
High Plains Architects is an award-winning architectural firm focused on downtown redevelopment, historic renovation (adaptive reuse), and the highest levels of environmental stewardship. Our mission is to serve and inspire our clients, community, heritage, and environment through the design of innovative, cost-effective high-performance buildings that people love. High Plains Architects is the Northern Rockies’ most accomplished sustainable design firm and a leader in historic preservation.
We have completed:
• 11 certified historic tax credit projects meeting the rigorous U.S. Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation, with six more in process
• 13 LEED Platinum-certified projects, with three more pursuing Platinum.
• One certified Living Building—all seven petals!—right in downtown Billings.
See more about our past work at highplainsarchitects.com, and we’d love to interview qualified candidates to discuss future projects about which we’re very excited.
Are you passionate about sustainable design and historic renovation? Do you want to be a part of redeveloping downtowns yet still live close to pristine landscapes?
If this sounds appealing, you may be a great fit for High Plains Architects! We are seeking qualified, motivated architects with the following qualifications:
• Licensed architect with 3-8 years of experience.
• Strong design skills. Our project managers start projects at conceptual design and stay with projects through construction documents and construction administration.
• Solid project management experience. Ability to develop cost estimates, manage design fees and the design team, and keep 2-4 projects moving forward.
• Good writing skills. Ability to effectively communicate with all members of a project, including clients, consultants, contractors, and authorities. • Proficient technical skills in Revit and MS Office suite required; other skills a bonus.
• Credentials. LEED GA. LEED AP specialty preferred. Certified Passive House Consultant, or WELL AP are bonus.
• Vision. Through our leadership, we can bring about sustainability and high-quality spaces and places in Montana. “Do you have the vision?”
ABOUT OUR PLACE
Billings, Montana is anchored by the Yellowstone River and sheltered by the Rimrocks—sandstone cliffs that border its northern edge; our city is ringed by many wild parks and linked by a growing network of multiuse trails. Billings is Montana’s trailhead and only 60 miles from the Beartooth Mountains, Montana’s tallest, and a variety of other amazing wild landscapes.
Outdoor activities abound in our city/region, including mountain biking, hiking, camping, canoeing, hunting, fishing, and rock climbing, which is why Outside Magazine listed Billings as its Best Town of 2016.
Thanks in part to our many loft apartment and commercial projects, downtown Billings is developing into a vibrant place with local-foods restaurants, microbreweries, and a variety of cultural offerings.
Sunset Magazine listed Billings as “Best Sustainable Community” in 2016 because of the trails and the many LEED Platinum-certified green buildings, most of which High Plains Architects designed or inspired. And finally, Billings became the first LEED-certified city in Montana, receiving LEED for Cities Gold in 2022. These are all good things, but what drives High Plains Architects is the remaining potential to design and develop many more historic renovations and regenerative projects and revive downtowns in the region.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We are seeking the best, most motivated individuals to help our team [re]create our built environment to meet the opportunities and daunting challenges our communities face in the 21st century. Because we work beyond the limits of conventional practice, our employees develop a variety of skills, from real estate development to grassroots organizing. A passion for our mission is invaluable as we foster excellence in design, critical problem solving, and civic engagement.
Time for community involvement and enjoying the great outdoors is essential to our practice; our employees average 40-hour work weeks.
We offer a competitive benefits package that includes health insurance, dental & vision insurance, Simple IRA retirement savings, vacation, sick leave, paid holidays, 20 hours of paid community/civic time per year, 20 hours of paid professional development time and a stipend, an incentive for walking or biking to work, and a flexible, fun, collegial work environment.
Compensation is based on experience and skills of candidate (approximately $60-$70,000).
Contact us at email@example.com for more information, or send us a cover letter, portfolio, and resume with references.
We look forward to meeting you!