Architectural Designer, 0-3 Years Experience
Posted Friday, February 24
is a full-service architecture firm that specializes in the design of high-end homes, lofts, cabins, and boutique commercial projects. Based in Minneapolis, but with projects across the country, we are a collaborative studio that focuses on a high level of design and client service.
We structure most projects as team efforts and candidates will be working with Principals and Project Managers from the earliest stages of schematic design to the production of drawing sets. Candidates are expected to have the ability to work on multiple projects at a time and be able to efficiently switch between tasks. Excellent candidates who complete job duties with urgency and efficiency will have their duties and responsibilities increase on projects and within the structure of the firm.
We are currently hiring an Architectural Intern/Designer to work in our Uptown studio. At PKA, we look at a designer as an integral part in the design and production of a project.
A designer uses their skills and knowledge of construction and design to help guide a project from initial concept to a completed design that can be built efficiently.
Working with the Project Manager, a designer helps develop the design through 3d model with an eye towards materials, construction methods, and 3d massing. Designers are also responsible for refining the design in CAD and adding the necessary layers of detail and coordination as needed to create a well rounded and comprehensive construction set.
This is a great opportunity to join our collaborative work-family. While we focus on high-end homes, we have a growing portfolio of commercial work, and we are seeking qualified candidates that have a proven track record of successfully completing complex projects of all scales.
What you will generally be doing
• Assisting Project Managers with production of drawings for presentations and construction documents
• 3d modeling for both iterative design purposes as well as for documentation and rendering
• Coordinating changes in drawings
• Coordinating and filling out product and finish schedules
• Working directly with consultants and engineers
• Participating in design meetings.
What we are looking for in you:
• 0-3 years of experience in residential design and documentation
• Self-motivated and capable of working independently and self-directing on to the next task
• Effective time management skills and a sense of urgency in completing assignments
• High degree of organization and ability to quickly adjust priorities
• General knowledge of construction methods and their drafting.
What Skills you must have:
• High degree of experience with Sketchup
• Experience with AutoCAD
• Experience with Enscape
• Working knowledge with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel)
• Proficiency with Adobe Suite (Photoshop and InDesign)
• Experience with Revit, ArchiCAD, or other BIM software is a plus, but not required
• Good written communication skills
Compensation is commensurate with experience and skill.
This is a full-time salaried position with the following benefits:
• Fully covered health and dental for the employee (Dependents can be added, but paid in full by employee)
• Life Insurance/ADD policy
• Short and Long-term disability insurance
• 3 weeks PTO and 9 paid holidays
• Simple IRA match
• Reimbursement for professional memberships (AIA, NCARB, LEED, etc.)
• Reimbursement for licensure tests once passed
• Discretionary bonuses as the firm is able.
Please email your resume, cover letter, and examples of your work in pdf format.
Please do not send disks or hard copies, no phone calls or drop-in inquiries, please.