Job Captain – 4+ years of experience
Posted Sunday, May 14
PKA Architecture is a full-service architecture firm that specializes in the design of high-end homes, lofts, cabins, and boutique commercial projects. Based in Minneapolis, but with projects across the country, we are a collaborative studio that focuses on a high level of design and client service.
We approach each project with fresh eyes and believe that every project should be as unique as our clients.
We are currently hiring a Job Captain to work in our Uptown studio.
A job captain uses their knowledge of construction methodologies, materials, and practices to develop drawings, details, and documents that will be used to construct the project. More than just a drafting position, the job captain’s focus is on coordination and constructability of the project lending their knowledge and experience during the design process to help figure out problem areas before they arise.
A job captain coordinates the work of consultants, assigns tasks to design staff, coordinates drawings and specifications, and manages the production aspects of a project. Further, they assist during CA with submittal reviews and site meetings as they have a deep knowledge of the project.
Our studio structures most projects as team efforts and candidates will be working directly with Principals and Project Architects/Project Managers from the earliest stages of schematic design to drafting construction details, producing drawing sets, and reviewing submittals and shop drawings.
Candidates are expected to have the ability to work on multiple projects at a time and be able to efficiently switch between tasks. Excellent candidates who complete job duties with urgency and efficiency will have their duties and responsibilities increase on projects and within the structure of the firm.
This is a great opportunity to join our collaborative work-family. While we focus on high-end homes, we have a growing portfolio of commercial work, and we are seeking qualified candidates that have a proven track record of successfully completing complex projects of all scales.
What you will generally be doing:
• Managing the production of drawing sets and coordinating the work of other designers providing drafting on projects
• Specifications of products and integration into drawing sets
• Material and product research and selection
• Drafting and drawing set production on various projects of various sizes
• Coordination with outside consultants and incorporation of their work into our drawings
• 3d modeling for both iterative design purposes as well as for documentation and rendering.
What we are looking for in you:
• 4+ years of experience in high end residential design and documentation
• Extensive experience with production of construction drawings for high end residential projects
• Self-motivated and capable of working independently and self-directing on to the next task
• Effective time management skills and a sense of urgency in completing assignments
• Experience managing small teams (1-3) of staff and allocating time and tasks effectively
• High degree of organization and ability to quickly adjust priorities
• Extensive experience with residential detailing of various styles
• Completed professional degree program
• Licensure is desired, but not required.
What Skills you must have:
• High degree of professional experience with AutoCAD
• High degree of proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel)
• Professional experience with Sketchup
• Proficiency with Adobe Suite (Photoshop and InDesign)
• Proficiency with Enscape and Lumion
Experience with Revit, ArchiCAD, or other BIM software is a plus, but not required
• Good written communication skills
Compensation is commensurate with experience and skill.
This is a full-time salaried position with the following benefits:
• Fully covered health and dental for the employee (Dependents can be added, but paid in full by employee)
• Life Insurance/ADD policy
• Short and Long-term disability insurance
• 3 weeks PTO and 9 paid holidays
• Simple IRA match
• Reimbursement for professional memberships (AIA, NCARB, LEED, etc.)
• Reimbursement for licensure tests once passed
• Discretionary bonuses as the firm is able.
Please email email@example.com and include your resume, cover letter, and examples of your work in pdf format. No hard disks or jump drives, and no walk-ins, please.