Quality Control Architect & Spec Writer
Posted Wednesday, March 17
Shea, Inc. is a nationally recognized design firm with a unique approach of creating solutions through a seamless blend of architecture, interior design and branding/marketing communications. Shea is a leader in providing creative, strategic and business-based solutions for clients in the areas of retail, restaurant/hospitality, and workplace.
Our award winning work provides real business results for clients and has built our reputation for smart creativity. Shea requires leadership, responsibility and independence with an emphasis on creative and strategic thinking from employees. As a representative of Shea, we expect integrity and clear communications in our day-to-day environment.
We have a full-time opening for a Quality Control Architect/Specification Writer with 20+ years experience in our Minneapolis office. This Quality Control Architect is responsible for setting the Shea Standards and Master Specification, mentoring/training of the staff on the standards and ensuring these standards are met through the drawing process from inception to completion of construction.
• Reviews drawings and other project information to write and edit specifications for projects and coordinates compliance with project requirements, institutional guidelines, Shea standards, technical conditions, acceptable standards, and existing laws, rules, regulations and codes.
• Ensures that construction detail documentation conforms to quality assurance, quality control and best practice standards.
• Provides quality management reviews and technical advice in design development through construction document phases. Including review and redlining of construction documents, general support on RFI’s, Shop Drawings, Change Orders, etc.
• Responsible for ensuring the overall design intent of the project established by the Project Designer is incorporated into the detailed documentation.
• Supervises preparation of technical drawings by other less senior level staff
• Acts as a risk management resource to other project leaders, ensuring quality control.
• Provides continual development and improvement of Shea Master Specifications including its specialized content for project type or regional conditions as well as sustainable content
• Provide Code Analysis (municipal, state, UBC and ADA)and be actively involved in code changes
• Assists project managers with review and coordination of project agreements relative to professional service and general condition issues.
• Assists project architects and project designers with material and system constructability analysis.
• Assists project architects with shop drawing and product substitution review.
• Coordinates and reviews consultant technical specifications for conformance with Shea standards.
• May conduct internal specifications training.
• Conduct quality control reviews.
• Participates in developing and improving Shea document standards and best practice procedures.
• Meets with municipal building department and other governing agency officials to coordinate approvals or variances.
• Strong knowledge of architectural design, engineering coordination, design trends, products, construction methodology, building systems, material application, and manufacturer-supplier appropriateness.
• Strong knowledge of construction procedures and schedules.
• Advanced knowledge of QA/QC process
• Strong knowledge of building envelope components, interior plans and material requirements of all building and facility types. • Advanced knowledge of architectural building systems.
• Advanced knowledge of building codes and ability to research and apply/incorporate into technical documents.
• Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Ability to produce a well-coordinated, detail-oriented, fully integrated Project Manual.
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and produce results within deadline.