AXP – formerly IDP, Intern Development Program
To become an architect in Minnesota, you must satisfy:
- An Education Requirement – an NAAB Accredited Professional Degree (B.ARCH. OR M.ARCH)
- An Experience Requirement – through the Architectural Experience Program (AXP)
- And an Examination Requirement – the Architect Registration Examination (ARE)
AXP is a nationally recognized architectural experience program administered by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB). It is required for becoming an architect in Minnesota.
How does AIA Minnesota support AXP?
AXP/ARE Presentations at Firms or Schools
The AIA Minnesota Architect Licensing Advisory Committee makes presentations at firms to licensing candidates and mentors as well as at schools to architecture students. The presentation provides an overview of the AXP process and the ARE (Architect Registration Exam). To request a presentation at your firm or school, contact AIA Minnesota Architect Licensing Advisor DJ Heinle, AIA, or AIA Minnesota staff Deanna Christiansen.
ARE 5.0 / Black Spectacles Tutorials
AIA Minnesota is offering a three-month discounted subscription of the Black Spectacles Tutorials to run from May 1 to July 31, 2018. A minimum of ten registrants by April 23 is required. Click here for more details.
Those registered will have access to:
- comprehensive content covering all sections of the exam
- unlimited access to the entire library of ARE 5.0 courses
- over 70 hours of video tutorials
- built-in exam practice questions
- interviews with working architects in their offices and construction sites
If you are interested in knowing more about Black Spectacles, click on this link to access free sample videos. https://blackspectacles.com/products/are-5-exam-prep.
AIA Continuing Education
Attending AIA Health Safety Welfare (HSW) continuing education seminars is an approved means for gaining credit that can be applied for AXP credit.
Click here for AIA Minnesota seminars currently scheduled.
Click here to get information about AIA Minnesota’s annual state Convention at which more than 50 seminars are scheduled.
• AIA Minnesota Architect Licensing Advisory Committee
• AIA Minnesota Architect Licensing Advisor, DJ Heinle, AIA
• University of Minnesota Architect Licensing Educator Advisor, Jim Lutz, AIA
• NCARB (National Council of Architectural Registration Boards)