AIA Minnesota is currently seeking applications for officer and board leadership positions that will begin January 1, 2022.
If you’ve thought about growing your leadership skills, expanding the circle of professionals you work with, or raising your profile in the community, getting involved in your state or local chapter is a great way to do so.
This is an important time in the leadership of AIA Minnesota, the local chapters and the Minnesota Architectural Foundation. By joining the leadership teams of any of these groups, you will be engaged in key decisions as we continue to serve the interests of current members, to shape a profession where all can thrive, and to advance AIA’s top strategic priorities of climate action and equity — in our organization, in our profession, and in our communities.
Open AIA Minnesota Officer/ Board Leadership Positions for 2022
Members of AIA Minnesota in good standing who are AIA, Assoc. AIA, or FAIA are eligible for the following open positions, except as noted
- President-Elect (a three-year commitment as President-elect, President, and Past President; serves on the AIA Minnesota Board of Directors, the Executive Committee and Finance Committee and represents the organization to the membership, to external organizations, and to the public)
- Secretary (one-year term; may run for a second one-year term; serves on the AIA Minnesota Board of Directors and Executive Committee; is the convener of the Equity Council and regularly attends meetings of the Community of Practice for Culture Change and the Equity in the Built Environment Committee)
- Treasurer (one-year term; may run for a second one-year term; serves on the AIA Minnesota Board of Directors, the Executive Committee and Finance Committee)
- Associate Director (one year term — only open to individuals who are Assoc. AIA members; if an individual selected for the Assoc. AIA position becomes a licensed architecture during their tenure, they can retain their seat on the board for the remainder of their term)
The deadline for applications is Friday, September 17. If you are interested in being considered for one or more of these AIA Minnesota positions, complete the application form. The application asks you to briefly answer these questions and to provide a resume:
- Why do you want to serve in this leadership role?
- What leadership experience would you draw upon in serving in this position?
- How have you been engaged with AIA (local, state, and/or national)?
- What would you bring to AIA Minnesota’s efforts to further AIA’s top two priorities of climate action and equity?
- Adaptation, creativity, and federal PPP loans have helped AIA Minnesota remain strong throughout the pandemic. There remains considerable uncertainty ahead related to the pandemic and how it will affect members and AIA Minnesota as an organization. What should the leadership of AIA Minnesota keep in mind as we continue to serve members and plan for the future within this context?
Who should apply to serve as an AIA Minnesota officer or associate director?
Any AIA Minnesota member in good standing is eligible to apply for an open officer position. The Nominating Committee is particularly interested in members who have these qualifications and experience:
- Demonstrated leadership skills and leadership experience within a firm setting and/or within the profession
- Engagement in AIA Minnesota, a local AIA Minnesota chapter, and/or AIA on a national level
- Professional achievement in the field of architecture
- Strategic thinking skills and abilities
- Communications skills (in various settings, and with a wide variety of individuals)
- Commitment to growing equity, diversity and inclusion in the profession and within AIA Minnesota
- Emotional intelligence and the ability to engage and facilitate inclusive group decision-making
- Compatibility with the AIA Minnesota Board of Directors, officers, and staff
What is the selection process?
Anyone interested in being considered as a candidate should complete an application form by September 17, 2021.
Following the September deadline for applications, the Nominating Committee will work to determine its recommended slate of candidates. The selection process may include individual interviews with the Nominating Committee – late morning of October 28 is the proposed date. If many applications are received for a particular position, the Committee may narrow down the list of candidates to be interviewed based on the qualifications demonstrated in the written applications.
The Nominating Committee will present a slate of candidates for consideration by the AIA Minnesota Board of Directors at its October meeting. The slate approved by the Board of Directors will be communicated to the membership and voted on at the Annual Meeting scheduled for Thursday, November 18 at 12:00 noon. Successful candidates will assume office on January 1, 2022.
Local Chapter Level or Minnesota Architectural Foundation Leadership Opportunities
If you are interested in exploring leadership opportunities at the local chapter level – AIA Minneapolis (Hennepin County and central Minnesota), AIA Northern Minnesota (St. Louis County and northern Minnesota), or AIA St. Paul (Ramsey County and southern Minnesota) – or with the Minnesota Architectural Foundation, members are encouraged to express their interest by September 8, 2021 by emailing Amber Allardyce; a follow-up call or meeting with a current leader will be set up to talk about the various opportunities available and your interest in serving.
Where can I find out more information?
Not sure about whether to apply? Want more information about AIA Minnesota leadership positions or the selection process? Contact Amber Allardyce, Deputy Executive Director or Mary-Margaret Zindren, Executive Vice President.