Six 2014 St. Paul Heritage Preservation Award recipients were honored at the annual awards reception on May 20 at the St.Paul City Hall and Ramsey County Court House.
House of Hope Presbyterian Church — 797 Summit Ave.
Designed in 1914 by Ralph Adams Cram, House of Hope Presbyterian Church is a beautiful example of the Gothic Revival style and a prominent feature of Summit Avenue. The church and its 1959 addition were in need of major restoration, and the congregation committed to undertaking the work, ultimately costing about $3.2 million. The work included the replacement of the slate roof, new copper flashings, and a complete restoration of the original bell tower.
House of Hope Presbyterian Church
Roof Spec, Inc.
Meyer Borgman Johnson
Building Restoration Corporation
1890 Francis M. Finch House — 839 Osceola Ave.
Owners Robin and Brian Belisle restored this 124 year-old home to the quality of materials and details originally designed by architects Cass Gilbert and James Knox Taylor. The remodel project included extensive reworkings, inside and out, to respect the building’s character and reveal its beauty.
Brian and Robin Belisle
David Heide Design Studio
Next Level Renovation
Adaptive Reuse Award
Frank P. and Anna Shephard House — 325 Dayton Ave.
This home, built in 1880 as a private residence, spent the past 70 years in a variety of uses. In 1955, a major annex addition was constructed. Four years ago, Andy and Whitney Blessing discovered the property and adapted the annex into a Montessori pre-school, restored the original 1880 structure into an elegant bed and breakfast, and rehabilitated the servant’s quarters into their private residence.
Andy and Whitney Blessing
The New Victorian Mansion Bed & Breakfast
IN RECOGNITION OF: Karin DuPaul spearheaded efforts to promote preservation of historic housing stock in the Dayton’s Bluff Neighborhood by organizing tours of vacant homes and advocating for their re-use. She helped create the Dayton’s Bluff Historic District and worked tirelessly on preservation efforts such as the Stutzman Building and Hamm’s Brewery site on St. Paul’s Eastside.
Cultural Heritage Award
Great House of Summit Avenue & the Hill District
This 280-page illustrated book takes readers on an intimate tour of 24 historic homes on and around Summit Avenue. It documents the architecture and design of the homes along with colorful, compelling stories of the homeowners. This book was published in October 2013 and by the end of the year over 5,000 copies had been sold. Karen Melvin self-published the book along with a team of photographers, writers, an editor and graphic designer.
Paul Clifford Larson
Union Depot—241 East Fourth St.
This landmark in St. Paul’s Lowertown neighborhood has been transformed into a 21st century multi-modal transit hub and active mixed-use destination. The building reopened in 2012 after a $243 million investment that beautifully restored the 1920s era building. Recently, the Union Depot welcomed back Amtrak service and will be a major stop along the Green Line light rail transit corridor opening on June 14.
Ramsey County Regional Rail Authority
HGA Architects and Engineers
Beyer Blinder Belle
Click here for the City of St. Paul’s press release.