Note: This event is postponed due to the continuing spread of COVID-19 and the uncertainty of restrictions that will be imposed on travel and public gatherings in the coming weeks. A new date will be posted as soon as possible.
Building glass and lighting can be deadly hazards for birds, killing hundreds of millions of birds every year in the United States alone. Building-related bird deaths are largely preventable through building design and retrofit.
This program will cover:
• The science of bird-window collisions
• Current bird-safe design best practices
• Examples of these design techniques and building materials in use locally and around the world
The program will enable participants to:
1. Recognize hazards to birds in the built environment.
2. Identify and apply current best practices in preventing bird collisions and integrate bird-friendly architecture with other aspects of green design.
3. Understand existing and pending legislation at Federal, State and Municipal levels, mandating bird-friendly buildings.
4. Find and utilize resources on bird-friendly design and construction.
Presenter Joanna Eckles is Curator of Birds at the Raptor Center at the University of Minnesota and a consultant for creating bird-friendly communities. Joanna has three decades of experience in bird conservation and education. She coordinated bird-window collision research in the Twin Cities, created a Lights Out program to reduce light pollution, and co-authored the Minnesota Sustainable Building Guidelines (B3) Bird-Safe Building Requirement.
Michael Mesure is cofounder and Executive Director of the Fatal Light Awareness Program (FLAP) Canada. He will be available to share his experience in helping Toronto become an international leader in bird-safe policies and standards.
This program is free and provides 1.0 HSW/LU credit. To register or for more information please email email@example.com. Breakfast provided.
Emerging Professionals Committee (EPC)
Tuesday, October 5, 2021 8:00 am
Meetings are held virtually via the Zoom online meeting platform. Once you have registered to attend, you will receive an…