The Homes by Architects Tour, founded by AIA Minnesota in 2008, is a two-day in-person and a multi-week virtual event and public outreach opportunity where architect-designed homes from around the state are showcased to a public audience.
By showcasing the highest-quality new and remodeled, architect-designed homes from a range of project types, sizes, budgets, and sites, the event strives to demonstrate the value of architect-led residential design and educate the public about the quality and diversity of skills an architect can offer.
Additionally, the tour provides an opportunity for AIA Minnesota members to promote their services, expand their client base, and showcase their highest-quality work.
Explore the public-facing Homes by Architects Tour website here.
2022 Event Dates
The Homes by Architects Tour is a hybrid event. Homes will be available to tour in person on Saturday, September 17 and Sunday, September 18, 2022, from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm each day. A virtual tour will be available to view online Saturday, September 17–Sunday, October 2, and will be re-released in January 2023.
Submit for the 2022 Tour Now
Submit your project for the 2022 Homes by Architects Tour now. The deadline for submissions has been extended to Friday, April 22 at 12:00 pm CT.
Residential projects designed by a registered architect, or a team where a registered architect is the lead designer, who is a current AIA Minnesota member are eligible. Projects may be new construction, remodels, or additions, and must have been completed within the past six years (as of January 1, 2022) or, if new construction, must be scheduled for completion by September 1, 2022.
Projects should exemplify the best qualities of an architect’s work, demonstrate an innovative use of design solutions and/or materials, and tell a compelling story. Single-room or small-in-scope projects may undergo additional scrutiny to ensure they adequately illustrate the objectives of the event.
No firm may have more than 25 percent of the homes on the tour, and no single architect may have more than two projects on the tour.
Choose to Show Your Project In-Person, Virtual, or Both Ways
AIA Minnesota is pleased to offer three options for showcasing your project in 2022:
- In-person only
- Virtual only
- Both in-person and virtual (limited to 5 projects*)
In the virtual scenario (Option #2), a project is showcased completely online through photography and videos (provided by the architect) and via a virtual Matterport tour (coordinated by AIA Minnesota). The physical property address of a virtual project will not be disclosed and no tourgoers will have in-person access to the home.
For projects that are to be showcased in-person and virtually (Option #3), firms will have the option of having the Matterport tour filmed well in advance of the in-person tour weekend, or to have it filmed on the Friday before (Friday, September 16) or Monday after (Monday, September 19). The Homes by Architects virtual tour website will be updated with any Matterport tours that were filmed on September 16 or 19 in time for the January 2023 re-release.
*Due to capacity reasons, we are limiting the number of homes to be showcased both in-person and virtually to five (5). This Call for Entries will be updated with the approach to selecting the five projects, if demand exceeds five, after the February 1, 2022, Residential Architecture Committee meeting.
Step 1: Submission Process
To submit a project for consideration of inclusion on the tour, the following information is required:
– Project information: address, project type, square footage, date of completion, description
– Entrant information: firm information, design team names, firm logo, architect headshot or team photo
– Project images: high-resolution, print-ready project photos or, if no print-ready photos are available at the time of submission, renderings, sketches, plans, construction photos or scouting shots
– Consent forms: signed consent from homeowners, signed Architect Agreement form
– Supplier Information: list of all project partners along with contact information for each
Materials must be submitted electronically using AIA Minnesota’s online awards platform. The deadline to submit projects without paying a late fee penalty is Friday, April 8, 2022 by 12:00 pm CT. After this date, any projects accepted on the tour will be subject to a $100 late fee.
Step 2: Selection Process
A submission is considered complete when all portions of the application are completed and signed, including signed consent from the homeowners to participate in the tour if their home is selected. By completing a submission, you are not ensured a spot on the tour.
Members of the AIA Minnesota residential architecture committee will review all submitted projects at the May 3, 2022 meeting and evaluate each one fairly and objectively, with a primary goal of selecting a diverse and representative range of project types, scopes, budgets, and sites that best support the programmatic objectives of the tour.
All submissions are subject to final approval by AIA Minnesota staff.
Step 3: Confirmation of Projects and Payment of Participation Fees
Following completion of the selection process, all submittors will be notified of the outcome. Submittors whose projects were selected for inclusion on the tour will be invited to attend an orientation session and participation fees will be collected.
– In-person format participation fee: $2,600
– Virtual format participation fee: $2,000
– Both in-person and virtual format participation fee: $3,800
– Both in-person and virtual format participation fee, if firm owns and is willing to use their own Matterport camera: $3,000 (subject to AIA Minnesota staff verification of firm’s ability to produce a Matterport virtual tour that meets the tour’s quality needs and expectations)
Participants may choose from two payment schedule options:
– Plan A. Payment in full by May 31, 2022.
– Plan B. Two installments: initial payment of 50% of participation fee on May 31 and final payment of remaining amount plus 10% administrative fee by June 30, 2022.
Questions? Contact Ann Mayhew at (612) 767-1740 or firstname.lastname@example.org.