Unique in its approach to creating a jury, these awards encompass the views of business professionals, real estate developers, community advocates, and academic leaders as well as architects. The Merit Awards are bestowed to projects by AIA Minneapolis architects that tell a story of excellence beyond design, reflecting the variety of forces that shape a building.
2015 Merit Award Winners
- Locus Architects and Isenberg + Associates’ East Side Enterprise Center, facility rehabilitation into the resource center for small, local, and entrepreneurial businesses on the East Side of St. Paul.
- BKV Group’s Schmidt Artist Lofts, an adaptive reuse of a historic community landmark brewery into affordable artist lofts located on West Seventh Street in St. Paul.
- CITYDESKSTUDIO, Inc.’s Peppers & Fries, an urban restaurant emerges from a vacant and derelict Super America gas station, revitalizing the east end of Lake Street in Minneapolis.
- Alliiance’s Xcel Energy Hiawatha West Substation Enclosure, an unprecedented Xcel Energy effort, driven by community feedback, to integrate public art with infrastructure in Minneapolis.
- Shelter Architecture’s Dwan Maintenance Building, a redesigned golf course maintenance building demonstrating the City of Bloomington’s consistent commitment to attractive public spaces and high quality architecture.
Download the 2015 AIA Minneapolis Merit Awards press release.