Visit to Silver Bay, Minnesota on May 29–21, 2022
Minnesota Design Team (MDT) is visiting the town of Silver Bay, Minnesota, on May 20–21.
Silver Bay is a classic example of a “company town,” built principally to house the workers of Reserve Mining Company, now Cleveland Cliffs. From these historical roots—the taconite mining industry of northern Minnesota—the city has evolved to be a significant community and potential destination on the North Shore. The community has asked AIA Minnesota, through its MDT program, to help them flesh out a vision for the future of Silver Bay. Sereral issues the City wants to explore include:
– Their eventual transition from a mining community to a recreational destination on the North Shore,
– Trails and park development connected to existing facilities to support becoming a regional recreation destination,
– Renovation and expansion of the downtown core,
– Developing a Gateway Corner Concept Plan to introduce visitors to the city,
– Housing stock expansion to meet the life-cycle needs of current and future residents,
– Concepts for redevelopment of the Mary Mac Elementary School site.
People interested in participating in this visit should contact visit co-leads Steve Roos or Candace Dow for more information.
Participate in the Minnesota Design Team (MDT)
Sign up as a MDT volunteer to receive updates on MDT events and to participate in community visits.
-Attend MDT committee meetings.
-Attend special events, such as the MDT annual retreat, holiday party, and quarterly volunteer meetings.
-Review a community application.
-Participate in a screening visit.
-Volunteer as a team member. (Click here for opportunities.)
-Volunteer as a team leader.
The MDT Committee meets virtually the third Wednesday of the month at 4:30 pm. Sign up here for notifications.
Quarterly volunteer meetings occur outside of the monthly committee meeting, and are an opportunity for MDT volunteers to learn from a guest speaker or participate in a workshop.