Supporting the advancement of women in the profession of architecture
In 2018, the Minnesota Architectural Foundation launched the Women in Architecture (WIA) Fund to promote equity in the architecture profession through grants that address challenges that women face over the course of their careers.
Our vision is to promote equity by supporting the advancement of women in the profession of architecture by increasing the diversity of perspectives in design processes thereby leading to more inclusive design solutions.
The work accomplished with the grant must directly support and impact women in the profession of architecture. Funding is available to:
- Applicants of all gender identities
- Applicants who are a resident of the state of Minnesota OR a student attending a Minnesota-based college or university OR has earned a degree from a Minnesota-based college or university.
- Highlighting the work of women architects who are based in or who have done work in Minnesota.
- Supporting the education of community members regarding women in the profession of architecture.
- Research related to the careers or education of women in architecture.
- Proposals related to the education of girls and young women about STEAM careers, particularly if related to architecture.
- Projects that seek to address “pinch points” in women’s careers in architecture (as noted in the research conducted by Equity By Design)
- Projects that seek to implement recommendations within the AIA Guides to Equitable Practice
Selection and NotificationAll eligible proposals will be reviewed by the WIA Fund Committee of the MAF. The date when applications are due will be set annually by the MAF Board of Directors. All applicants will be notified within four weeks of the application deadline.
To apply, fill out the WIA Fund Grant Application Form. Please note that the application provides a guideline for information that will be evaluated by the committee. It is not intended to be overly time consuming to put together.
The 2019 deadline for submittal is October 1, 2019.
Timeframe and ReportingWIA grantees must complete the following:
- The applicant must complete their work and spend the funds within one calendar year of the award date of the grant.
- The applicant must submit a report on the final product, works, or grant work accomplished to the Minnesota Architectural Foundation within three months of the end of the grant period.
- The applicant must be willing to participate in a public presentation at a location that is approved by the Board.
Funds Availability and RestrictionsIn 2019, the inaugural year, the WIA Fund will distribute up to $5,000 in grants. Available funds will be determined annually by the Board of Directors.
As required by IRS rules, Minnesota Architectural Foundation funds cannot be used to carry on propaganda or otherwise attempt to influence legislation nor can funds be used to influence the outcome of any specific public election.
If you have any questions, please contact Amber Allardyce, Hon. AIAMN, Deputy Executive Director of AIA Minnesota or call (612) 767-1748.
Thank you to our supporters
In 2019, the goal is to raise $100,000 in seed funding needed to establish this fund. Thanks to our supporters as of the first quarter:
Cuningham Group Architecture, Inc.
ESG Architecture & Design
Kodet Architectural Group, Ltd.
LEO A DALY
MacDonald & Mack Architects, Ltd.
Snow Kreilich Architects